Melodic death metal is not just for the Scandinavians. They can also handle it well in Ukraine as ForceOut proves with their debut Delusion. Ukraine is a country we do not hear a lot about in the metal world, so we asked guitarist, vocalist and songwriter Dima about the metal scene in eastern Europe and, of course, ForceOut.
Interview was prepared by MoL (Lords Of Metal)
Answering: Dmitriy Krytugolova (FORCEOUT, guitar/vocal)
1) We do not see a lot of bands emerge from Ukraine. Can you tell us some more about the metal scene over there?
Hi! My name is Dima, I am a lead guitarist, songwriter and the vocalist in ForceOut. Yes, it is valid, in Ukraine there aren’t a lot of known bands, but there are many good bands. I would like to mention such bands as Kroda, Sunrise, Polynove Pole, Morton and Dimicandum. In Ukraine the metal scene is well developed, but difficult to step on the stage in other countries because organizers from other countries don’t know us.
2) Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it is more difficult in Ukraine to get an album recorded. How did that go for ForceOut?
Hmm. Well, it is possible to write down even in a cellar, here already main is a mastering and other these tricks. Generally our groups make records at studios in Ukraine, and for other work it is send to Finland, Poland or Germany. We did it all in Ukraine because at us it is difficult with the band’s budget. But in my opinion, as for the first album everything turned out fucking awesome!
3) Can you tell something about the recording process? Who did most in the lyrical part, who produced the album, how do the songs come to life?
It was the first serious experience in studio and it very much was pleasant to us. At first we wrote down old songs, then the new. There were many changes in texts, in instruments parties. Everything was under my control because I write all music, I know how must it all be, and I want that all would be according to the highest category. At first I work over music, and then I write lyrics.
4) You signed with Metal Scrap Records. How did you came in touch with them?
I don’t remember exactly. It was through the Internet. I wrote to the owner of a label, and sent him records. Later he answered and we started discussing conditions, which in the end lead to the official release of our CD in Ukraine April 13, and then in the world.
5) Listening to your debut Delusion I would say you got your influences from the Swedish melodic death metal bands. Which bands in particular are your main influence?
There are two schools of melodic death metal – Finnish and Swedish. I listen to many groups which play in these styles. I can’t precisely tell you about my music. Swedish Finnish? I really don’t know. Something is more similar to Swedes, something to Finns. My favorite band is Russian power metal band Epidemia. If you listen to them, you will be able to hear some similarities to my music.
6) There are two tracks done your native language, while the other tracks are in English. What was the reason to do two tracks in Ukrainian and what are they about?
These are old songs which we played in 2009. In the song Everything That Is I describe amoral acts of people, about that that people like to burn the last bridges of hope. And in the song Lead Flowers something about war. Lead flowers – bullets. I can’t precisely explain because the text was written by our drummer as he sang in it a pure vocal.
7) There is a guest appearance on I Need Salvation. Why did you decide to do that for I Need Salvation?
I wrote this song when I had very bad mood, I then was in any despair or something like that. I decided that in this song there has to be a female vocal because the lyrics written like dialogue. On mine it turned out well.
8) I reckon it can be difficult to travel abroad to do a tour in support of Delusion. Do you have tour plans and are they mainly in Ukraine or is it possible to do some shows abroad?
Now only in Ukraine, but we wait for invitations from abroad also we will be glad to play somewhere out of Ukraine.
9) What is there expected in the future by ForceOut?
This autumn we will go to studio for record new album. It will be more powerful. At the moment, we have recorded two new songs, Snowdrift and Death Follows Me, soon you will be able to hear them on the Internet.
10) The last space is for you. What do you want to let us know that we have not talked about yet?
On the next album, the music will be more interesting, melodic and aggressive. At the moment, the new album is already written more than fifteen songs, now we learn them, and then choose that we liked best. Also in the new songs have power metal, a little bit of black metal, and a little bit of Scandinavian folk.
1. Please tell us a few words about the new release, about the music on it as a whole or a few words on each track in part. How are you happy with the final release?
– I think that it was good release, we are satisfied of results, we are satisfied of sound, all sounds pretty nice, You can hear every note of instruments in this tracks. Lyrics of songs is about suicide, about human weaknesses, about things that people do as a result of their weakness.
2. How would you describe/label the music on it? Does it sounds like anything we might have heard before?
– Music is fast, aggressive and melodic, now we use two vocals and you can appreciate it in a new release, compared to the previous release – this powerful and aggressive
3. Where was it recorded and how much time did it take you to record it? Any interesting stories from the recording/producing the material?
– We recorded these two tracks on “Cold Blade Studio” in Lviv, it did not take a lot of time, on mastering and mixing worked Oleg Rubanov. Actually anything interesting while recording did not happen, we got more experience of work in the studio.
4. What can you tell us about the cover artwork? Is there a link between the artwork and the lyrics? What are the topics of your lyrics?
– On the cover was working my friend Roman Derkach. Glass – a normal life, bloody arm – is a man’s desire to return to a normal life when too late, when your hands are in scars, and a needle sticking out from a vein.
In this release, the theme lyrics about suicide, addiction and weakness.
5. What do you expect to gain through this release? What are the band’s aims at the moment?
– This release we released to show what topic will be our new album. Now we learn new songs, preparing to record a new album and from time to time play gigs.
6. Is there a special format the material is released in? Or is it released in multiple formats? How many copies were pressed?
– EP ”BLOODTALE” released only in digital form, we did not have any physical media with this release.
7. Where and how will you promote this new release?
– The tracks of this release are available at many online stores, the promotion of the “Bloodtale” is engaged the label where we signed.
8. Where can we order it from?
– Directly on the web-site of our label “Metal Scrap Records” or at another online store.
Interview was prepared by OccultBlackMetal /VarietyOfDeathZine/
1. Can you tell us a little bit about the band for those that have never heard of you before?
Yes, shure. We’re band from Ukraine, Zolochiv, we play melodic death metal with elements of power metal.
2. How would you describe your musical sound?
As I said we play melodic death metal with elements of power metal. Our songs includes aggressive and melodic guitar riffs together with fast melodic solos that add Power Metal sound to the music.
3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
Oh, lyrics – it’s the hardest thing to me. Our lyrics cover such things as human relationships, good and evil, truth and lies, etc. I do not attach great importance to the lyrics, singing to me it rather as an additional tool in my songs.
4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
Interesting question. The name of the group came up with our former guitarist Vladimir Zakharchuk. The name of the group we understand this: each of us has something inside that he wants to release to freedom, outside the body. Basically it is a negative emotions, each have own method of releasing them, we use own method in music. Well Forceout – a force that we release out from our thoughts through music ,it’s memories, feelings
5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
I remember some of these shows. I really liked our show at a concert in Lviv “Chaos in Ukraine tour” also I liked our performance when we had the first show in Ternopil at “Faza” festival, emmm .. has not been bad at “Zavantazhennya” festival in Lviv, actually I get pleasure from each of our shows.
6. Do you have any touring plans for the future?
Yes, we wanna go with support the new album “Delusion.” There are plans to go to Poland with not big tour and will make some shows in the Ukraine. Looking forward to new offers:)
7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of melodic death metal?
In most cases this music create in the Nordic countries, and fans of this music can be found in any country. Feedback of course important to us, and every work must be paid but at this time we just get the pleasure of making music, our shows and from our rehearsals. I think, that our music is not only for fans of melodic death metal, cause in our music are particles of power metal. I hope that over time we can fully surrender to music, doing things you love,and also receive money for life, not at fucking job, where you work is not for pleasure.
8. Are there any other musical projects besides this band or is this a full time line up?
Previously I played in several groups, I want to perform my own songs, but not others. I plan to have a few projects that I would like to implement, I would like to try work in other styles.
9. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
Confidently say that in the metal style. Maybe we’ll add something else. In new songs influenced black metal, a bit of Scandinavian folk. Music will be more aggressive, but simultaneously and more melodic than it was. The lyrics will be more serious about death, suicide, the internal experiences, etc.
10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
I think that Children Of Bodom, Dark Tranquillity, In flames, and Epidemia were the source for the start composing music, their music just inspires me. What I’m listening to? Hehe, I’m a music lover, I listen to a lot of music, most of the time I spend with headphones and player. In the my playlist I have it all starts with Skid Row, Cinderella, Def Leppard, Whitesnake and ends Behemoth, Hate, Lamb Of God. In short, I have everything from 80’s to modern music. I mostly prefer bands from Finland (like COB, Wintersun, Nightwish, Norther, Ensiferum, Tarot, Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica, etc.) and Sweden(Dark Tranquillity, In Flames, At The Gates, Amon Amarth, etc.), and at this moment in my headphones sounds Tarot 🙂
11. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
I think it’s tourism, I like to travel, I like to look at the historical places, just like to go somewhere in the mountains, and yes, there is definitely more interest. Oh yeah, I forgot about Internet.
12. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
Metalheads, we’ll rise! All best for you, I hope, we’ll come with gig to your city!
Copyright © 2021 total metal Records. All Rights Reserved.