1) Please tell us about the history of your band and its members.
Our band was formed in the 1th December of 2007. At that time the LETHARGY included four members: Vitalii Yavnov – vocal/guitar, Aleksandr Kuznetsov – drums, Vladimir Sirenko – bass, Aleksandr Shirinskiy – guitar. At this time we lost Vladimir Sirenko and his place was taken by Dmitry Popelnuh. At present the LETHARGY are:
Vitaly Yavnov – vocal, music, lyrics
Aleksandr Kuznetsov – drums, music
Dmitry Popelnuh – bass
Sergei Kovbasa – rhythm/solo guitar
Aleksandr Shirinskiy – lead guitar, music
Diana Larionova – keyboards, vocal, music
2) How would you describe your style? Which bands influenced your music?
The LETHARGY is a dark metal band with death-, gothic- and doom-metal influences. Our favorite bands are MY DYING BRIDE, ANATHEMA, SEPTIC FLESH, MOONSPELL, DARK THE SUNS, IN FLAMES, BLACK SABBATH, SWALLOW THE SUN, SATURNUS and more…
3) Why should a metalhead buy your demos/albums?
If you are fed up with a modern music and you missed with dark/death/doom metal you should listen to the LETHARGY?.
4) What have you released so far and how were your releases received by the public/media?
At the present we have “Preludes of struggle” (2008, demo), “The burden of human passions” (2010, СD Grailight Productions), “Cult of personality” (EP), and our second album “Divine madness” is coming soon (2012, CD Metalscrap/Total metal). There were both good and bad reviews to our music, more good than bad.
5) Do you play live as well? How’s your live activity so far?
We love concerts! And we try to plays more and more. Almost every month we plays in the other cities. Also we have tour every year.
6) What should labels/zines/promoters know about your band? Why should they be interested in it?
We are the people who believe in the power of Art and we play music for a human’s pleasure and spiritual healing. The best reward for us it’s applause.
7) What plans do you have for the near future as a band?
First of all after the album’s release we will organize tours around the cities of Ukraine, Russia and Belarus. Afterward we will think about the Western Europe. Also we will provide an updated merchandise for our listeners.
8) Where can we listen to your band and where can we buy your stuff?
You can listen and watch our music on the official site (http://www.lethargyband.com.ua), YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/Lethargyzp), MySpace (http://www.myspace.com/lethargy_band),
Facebook(http://www.facebook.com/groups/Lethargy), VK (http://vk.com/lethargyband). What about buying the merchandise, you can contact us via email firstname.lastname@example.org , icq 616732253, skype metalurg-13, phone +38 093-639-12-40, +38 099-08-13-697.
1.Hello, thanks for answering to our questions. What are you guys currently up to?
Hi! We are preparing for the DARK LETHARGY FEST. It will happen at the band’s Birthday. Also we are waiting for our second album “Divine Madness”.
2.First off, could you make some history of the band?
The LETHARGY was formed in 1th of December of 2007. There were four people at that time: Vitaly Yavnov – vocals, guitar
Aleksandr Kuznetsov – drums
Vladimir Sirenko – bass
Aleksandr Shirinskiy – guitar
Then we joined keyboard player and second guitar player. Vitalii Yavnov became the only singer.
3.How could you describe your sound?
We try to personalize the force of nature and the human’s soul in our music. The wind, the sun, sensuality are our sound.
4.What are the band’s main musical influences?
Fortunately, our minds are able to understand the more intricate and interesting music than the standards of metal. We like ANATHEMA, MY DYING BRIDE, SEPTIC FLESH, DARK THE SUNS, LACUNA COIL, IMMORTAL, SLUMBER, MOONSPELL, AMORPHIS, NILE, DYING FETUS. We like more philosophical music: doom, dark, black, death, gothic.
5.How is the feedback for your new album being?
Music is not a job, but the Messiah. The money are not the main for us. Applauses bring more pleasure.
6.And are your personally satisfied with the final outcome?
Yes. The recording of the album was a very hard, but finally we are satisfied with the quality of recording.
7.How could you describe this opus in just 3 words?
Dreaminess. Rumination. Contemplation.
8.How has the production process for your new release been?
75% of our material was written by me (Vitaliy Yavnov). But my colleagues also write the songs. All the arrangements by the LETHARGY. Guitars and bass were recorded at home with the helping of Aleksandr Shirinskiy and POD XT LIVE. Vocal and keyboardings were recorded at studio. Mastering is by Tony Alien.
9.And how do you use to work on the songwriting?
We write music at home with helping of GUITAR PRO. It is very convenient. And it saves the time. Everyone of us teaches his score at home. There are only arrangements on the rehearsals.
10.Finally, what are you near-future?
We plan to make a video on the song “Satan’s Sorrow”. Also we are going to go in tour with a presentation of our second album.
11.That’s all from our side, thanks again for taking your time to answer our questions. If you now want to add some final words; feel free to do it.
Ars longa vita brevis!!!
Great surprise of the season, Lethargy has released a small bomb in the world of dark metal as Inactive Messiah in time with “Divine Madness”. With a strong musicality and maturity already being proven, we wanted to know a little more from the singer / guitarist who have agreed to answer my questions…
Interview was prepared by Eternalis (Spirit of Metal)
1. Hello! Can you present the band please? How is born Lethargia?
Hi! We are the dark metal band and we were born in the 1th of December 2007 in the Zaporizhzhya. There were only four people in the band. Me, Vitalii Yavnov – vocal & guitar, Alexnander Shirinsky – lead guitar, Vladimir Sirenko (ex-member) – bass, Alexander Kyznetsov – drums.
2. When I listen to “Divine Madness” the first time, I can think you’re a Greek band, like Septic Flesh or Rotting Christ…but you’re Ukrainian! Do you understand the analogy between these bands and you?
We’re surprised to listen to your opinion about Septic Flesh and us. ‘Cause we like this band very much and this fact could effect on our music.
3. Your style also resembles Moonspell, My Dying Bride or Katatonia…it’s melancholic and beautiful but there is always violence, darkness behind the music. Do you agree?
No, I don’t. There is not always violence and darkness. There is also deep intuition, love, feelings and reflections. I could agree with you if you would say this about funeral doom.
4. “Divine Madness” is a very good album, really inspired with a true maturity. What are your dreams with this second album?
Thanks’! We were working very hard for this result. We dreamed about good result. And we hope that it is done.
5. There are a lot of clean voices in the album, and Vitaly is really good on this exercise. How he chose when he sing on clean or scream voice?
This is choice of my inner voices. They themselves suggest when I should to sing softly and where should to sing extreme.
6. What is the signification of the artwork?
Let it remain a mystery for people.
7. Is it a concept behind lyrics of the album?
Yes, it is.
8. You have talent for explode beyond your frontiers. Do you think if you were Swedish or Greek, you would be an advantage?
Thanks’. It’s a really different to give an answer for this question. But I certainly can say that the musical mentality there better than in Ukraine.
9. What do you know of France?
That I’d like to be there))) This is the country of Arts!!! Paris is my passion and I dream to visit the Pere Lachaise.
10. For your first interview on Spirit of Metal, do you mean something for people does not know you?
Besides the music I like classic literature, poetry and painting. Unfortunately I cannot drawing, but I writing a poems.
11. You have a deal with Metal Scrap Records. What you expect of them?
This is a good label. I’m satisfied at the moment.
12. Have you programmed a tour for support “Divine Madness”? Do you like played live your songs?
Yes, we do. We prepared a tour program on the March 2013. There will be Ukraine, Russia and Belarus. And we think that live gigs are best promotion for the bands.
13. You have the last words for SoM…Thanks a lot and good luck!!
Thank you for the questions. I wish France remaines the same spiritual as it is. I hope we will meet each other in your beautiful country!!!
Copyright © 2021 total metal Records. All Rights Reserved.